Monday, December 18, 2023

Monday, 12/18

I have a Barry Manilow song stuck in my head, and like a drunk ex at 3 in the morning, it just won’t go away.

We all know how weak my mind can be. We all know that songs will enter my brain and burrow in just like a chipmunk hibernating for winter. We all know that for days on end I'll have a song stuck on an endless loop and it won't stop, no matter how many times I pound at the “off” button.

That song is currently Barry Manilow's “Daybreak”.

We played it during last week's “Throwback Thursday”, and that was when I knew I was in trouble. The song has hooks & key changes and everything else that slams a tune into my brain. And even after listening to a myriad of holiday music this weekend while baking cookies & wrapping gifts I still woke the past two nights with a performance of “Daybreak” running through my head.

I guess I'm just special that way.

Just how bad is it? Well, I listened to (and don't judge me here) “Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer” three or four times in an attempt to cleanse my musical palate. Usually, for some bizarre reason, “Grandma” is a song that gets stuck in my brain around this time of the year, whether I want it to or not. But even after listening to it several times over the weekend “Daybreak” is still the chart-topper on my own personal top 40.

Barry Manilow 1, Elmo & Patsy 0.

I'm hoping “Daybreak” goes away soon. Of course, when it does, it'll probably be replaced by something equally as irritating. At this point, I have no idea what that song will be, but I'm confident my brain can come up with something even worse than “Daybreak”.

After all, my brain's good like that.

So that the song might be stuck in YOUR head, as well...



That's okay. You can thank me later.

8-)

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment