Thursday, December 7, 2023

Thursday, 12/7

Just when I think my life can't get any weirder, the marching band shows up.

I've written in here a lot about the strange twists and turns my life has taken the last couple of years, everything from seeing my ugly mug plastered on the side of a bus to becoming the voice of a plumbing and heating shop in New Jersey. I've also mentioned how, just when I think the absurdity can't get any more absurd, it does.

Like yesterday, when we were shooting another edition of “High School Bowl”.

I figured something was up when I saw some of the students walking in with musical instruments. Now, I didn't discount the possibility that perhaps they had some sort of band thing going on at NMU after the show; many of the students who take part in “High School Bowl” are also heavily involved in music and/or theater. So I just kind of kept it out of my mind until someone walked up to me, mentioned they had written a marching band version of the show's theme, and wondered if they could perform it....with the extra musicians and the band director they brought up with them just for the occasion.

Think we'd say “no” to that?

So between games we shot them performing the theme song and, as a former band nerd, I have to admit it was quite good. One of the students had actually written up the arrangement himself, saying that he had to listen to a promo almost one hundred times to get it fully down. Now, that takes dedication—not only is the theme an ear-worm that lodges itself into your brain, but if he was listening to a promo that means he actually had to put up with me babbling on and on for thirty seconds almost 100 times.

And no one should have to do that.

I'll have video of the performance soon, and will share it when I do because, and let's be honest here, how many times in your life do you have someone work up a marching band arrangement of the theme song of a TV show you host and then want to perform it?

I'm guessing for most people that's zero, and that's another example of, just when I think my life can't get any stranger, it does. So to Chris Burie and the members of the Kingsford High School Bowl team and band, thanks for making my day. And for making me once again wonder...

What's gonna top that?

8-)

*****

Because I get a day off during my birthday week I won't be here tomorrow. Hope you can survive. Heck, I'm doing another “High School Bowl” so I hope I can survive. Have a great weekend; back on Monday!

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment