Thursday, February 9, 2023

Thursday, 2/9

Without even realizing it, I could break The Streak.

A couple of years ago, a few of you may recall, I had a streak going. Whenever it's above freezing I run in shorts. Even if it's 33 degrees, I'll will shed heavier gear and run in shorts. And a couple of years ago, I had a streak going where I was able to run in shorts at least once for 35 months straight. That, of course, means, that the temperatures here in Marquette were above 32 at least once a month for 35 straight months.

Then, of course, we had a cold march and The Streak came to an end.

The Streak popped into my mind yesterday when it was in the 40s and I ran in shorts for the first time this month. During the run I wondered if there was another Streak to be had, and when I finished running I looked back in the running logs I keep (and yes, I keep running logs, but that's a whole 'nother story). The last month that I was not able to run in shorts at least once was February of 2021, which means that this current Streak is now 24 months old.

Now, assuming March is anything but an arctic wasteland, I'll be able to run in shorts at least once. We then get into spring, summer, and fall, all months when I DO run in shorts, and by the end of the year we're looking at a streak of 34 months.

Just two shy of tying the record.

Now, I'm not a weather forecaster, nor do I play one on TV. But if we've gone through several years of Januarys and Februarys where I've been able to run in shorts at least once, you could make the assumption (and yes, I know what they say about assuming things) that when March of 2024 rolls around I will have a streak of 36 months going. In fact, since spring, summer, and fall are the months when you can count on wearing shorts at least once, that means by the end of 2024 the latest Streak will be at 45 months and counting.

So there's that.

No; I don't know why I keep track of things like that. I just do. But when you're out running and letting your mind wander, the strangest things can pop into it.

The Streak is proof of that.

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment