Friday, February 17, 2023

Friday, 2/17

This is weird. I don't have to shoot a TV show this morning.

Almost every Friday morning since the end of September I've hauled my butt over to TV-13 to tape a game or two of “High School Bowl”. But seeing as how we wrapped the season last Friday I don't have to get up early, get dressed up, and play TV host.

And I kinda miss it.

When I started this whole thing all those years ago I had no idea what to expect. I've been amazed by the experience, not only by the fact that they keep asking me back each & every year but more by the people I've been able to meet while hosting that TV show. One of the things I say at the beginning of every show is that everyone watching gets the chance to spend an hour with some of the brightest young people on the planet, and I'm not kidding when I say that. Some of the kids I've met and had the chance to get to know really are smart...scary smart, in fact, with some in medical school, or graduate school, or on track to become professors and/or research scientists who could one day change the world.

I've joked in here before about how my ties get more fan mail than I do, and I'm fine with that. But one nice compliment that I occasionally get comes from people I've never met before, who stop me on the street just to tell me they enjoy watching the program because, and I quote, “you (me, the host) seem to be having fun doing it, and it shows”. To me, that's the best kind of compliment, because I AM having fun with the show, and when I started that's the feeling I hoped to get across.

It's nice to know that every so often things go the way you plan then.

There are still many weeks of the show left to air, so I hope more of that fun keeps coming through, including another one of our “Cerebral 16” matches tomorrow night. Check it out if you're so inclined.

And have a great weekend, too. Like many people, I have Monday off (or at least have Monday off in my role as Radio Jim), so if you don't see one of these Monday, that's why. Back with another one of these Tuesday!

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment