Friday, February 10, 2023

Friday, 2/10

This particular milestone sure arrived quickly, but I'm off in a few minutes to shooting the final episodes of “High School Bowl” for 2022-2023. I swear we started shooting it last week, but I'm guessing I'm wrong about that.

Because, you know, I'm wrong about things quite a bit.

Since I have to leave, I'm going to leave you with something I wrote during the first year of my hosting the show. And I do have to say—eight years later, things are pretty much the same.

Have a great weekend!

(jim@wmqt.com)

*****

(as originally posted 1/15/15)

Some days I think my ties are more popular than I am.

Since the “High School Bowl”s I host have started to air I've received a lot of compliments on the job I've been doing. And while I appreciate those comments, I also know that a trained monkey could probably do it just as well (and probably wouldn't have trouble saying some of the technical terms in those pesky questions about math). But what does surprise me is the amount of people who, after complimenting me, start to gush about what they really like when they watch the show--

My ties.

Seriously...the ties I wear on the show seem to get almost as many comments as do my hosting duties. In fact, my ties have received their own fan mail, a couple of e-mails that made no mention of me other than the fact that I was the guy wearing them. And I think that's very cool. I didn't think it would happen, but I think it's very cool.

The plan wasn't originally for me to wear ties much on the show. When we started, I figured I'd just wear an open shirt with a sport coat, which is a semi-respectable way to appear on TV. But to make a good impression on the first few shows we taped I figured I'd wear a tie. Admittedly, it's not always tied right and sometimes it's worn rather loosely, but I figured I'd start off wearing ties just to prove that I was a responsible adult (of course, I'm really not, but that's just a secret between you & me). However, as the weeks wore on and people started to take notice of the ties I was wearing (and when I wasn't wearing one) I figured I'd just keep on wearing them while taping.

And now it looks like they're the most popular thing I do on the show.

Of course, I can kind of understand why. I've always felt that ties shouldn't be boring, that they shouldn't just blend into whatever else you wear. After all, then it's just a piece of cloth that spends most of the day choking you. I like ties with color—ties with lots of color (especially a splash or two of purple). I like the contrast you get between a solid-colored shirt and a multi-colored tie. And I'm lucky enough to have a skin tone that works well with lots of colors and with lots of color contrasts. So instead of wearing a boring shirt with a boring tie, like many people on TV, I get to have fun with what I wear. I get to play with colors and contrasts, and, well, people seem to notice.

Or, at the very least, they're noticing my ties.

Now, when I started this gig, I had no idea that a splash of color would be such a big deal, but it apparently has become such. Who knew, right? And because of that, I'll be curious to see what new comments I get on my neckwear, especially on a few of the shows coming up in the next couple of weeks. For my birthday my parents said to go out and buy myself a few new ties, and I did. They should start showing up on the air by the end of the month, and we'll hafta see if they get more comments than the ties I wore when the show first started.

Because of they get MORE, I may have to get my ties their own agent

8-)

No comments:

Post a Comment