Friday, June 10, 2022

Friday, 6/10

154 years ago tomorrow Marquette burned to the ground.

That line, in its many different variations, is actually one of the favorites of mine that I've written. I've used it in blogs, I've used it on tours, and I've used it in videos. It's simple, it contains all in information you need, and, I'd like to think, it grabs your attention and makes you wonder about the rest of the story.

Tomorrow is the big anniversary of the night a great chunk of Marquette went up in flames. There are some amazing stories to the night, some of which you can find out in a paragraph or two and all of which you can (if you wish) hear when I give a walking tour on the subject tomorrow afternoon (3pm at the Marquette Regional History Center, should you be interested). There are a lot of communities that have stories of the day or night they burned to the ground; the Great Fire of 1868, however, played a direct part in making Marquette one of the most unique looking communities in the country.

You can find out how if you join us tomorrow. Or, I guess, you can always find out why by watching this video--



Have a great weekend. And remember—no burning down the community in which you live, okay?

8-)

(jim@wmqt.com

No comments:

Post a Comment