Thursday, June 2, 2022

Thursday, 6/2

Well, whaddya know. Maybe the stories are actually true.

For as long as I can remember I've heard stories about people around here having seen snow in the air on the Fourth of July. I usually chalk it up to the telling of tall tales, because in all of the Fourths that I've been around (and that's what...12 or 13 of them?) I've yet to see anything resembling snow flakes. I've seen sun, I've seen rain, I've seen fog, and I've even seen my breath, but I've never lived through a Fourth that even comes close to having conditions for snow.

I was discussing this on the air with Mandy yesterday. I think she had made a crack about snow on the Fourth, I told her all the tall tales I've heard about it, and we both had a good laugh. As soon as I hung up the phone with her, I received a call from a woman in Republic, who had this story to tell--

Back in the late 60s (1968 specifically, I believe) Republic was celebrating its centennial on the Fourth. Everyone had made heavy wool period costumes to wear, and everyone who was taking part was worried that they'd be sweating to death in the Fourth of July heat. However, something weird happened. The woman, who was just a kid at the time, remembers the sky getting strange, the temperature dropping, and to the astonishment of everyone, snowflakes started to fall. They didn't stick, melting as they approached the ground, but as she saw with her own eyes, snow fell in Republic on the Fourth of July.

And as she put it, “everyone was really glad they were wearing their wool costumes”.

Wow. Can you imagine what it must've been like, seeing snow on the Fourth of July? Minds would've been blown. People would be staring at the sky in a state of shock. And if you think I whine a lot about cool summer weather now, think what I'd be like if snow started to fall.

I'd be insufferable. Or, at least, more insufferable than I am now.

Thankfully, I think I know enough about weather to know that, at least here in Marquette, we'd never see snow on the Fourth. Lake Superior would see to that. But then I also know enough about weather to know that if it could happen in Republic, there's always the chance—however slim—that it could happen here, too. I don't think we'll ever see snowflakes in July, but I would guess that's the same thing people in Republic thought before that one Fourth back in the late 60s.

So to everyone who's ever told me they've seen snowflakes on the Fourth of July, only to be met with a scoff on my part, just let me say this. I apologize. You were right. I was wrong. I will never doubt any of you ever again. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to sit in a corner for a few minutes and scream in fear that it never happens again.

8-)

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment