Monday, June 13, 2022

Monday, 6/13

Well...I never expected THAT to happen.

I had a meeting at a restaurant Friday morning and when I was walking out a woman came up to me with a question I actually get asked quite often--”Are you Jim?” Since I am, I nodded, and she proceeded to tell me a story that kind of blew my mind.

The person who came up to me is a second grade teacher at Superior Hills Elementary School in Marquette. She told me that her class has their “must do” work (you know, like math & stuff) every day, and when that's done they then get “want to do” time. And what do the kids in this second grade class at Superior Elementary quite often choose to do during their “want to do” time?

They choose to watch the history videos I make.

I've often had individuals—adults, to a person--tell me how much they enjoy those shorts. But an entire class of second graders? An entire class of second graders that actually chooses to watch them?

Now do you see why my mind is blown?

As I've mentioned in a couple of times in here, when I make those videos I have no idea who will end up watching them and what effect they'll have on those who choose to view them. I'm mostly doing it for (literally) history. I'm doing them so anyone who stumbles upon the History Center's website and wants to learn something can. I just never imagined that a group of second graders would one, stumble upon them, and two, actually want to go back to them again and again.

I mean, who knew?

I thanked the teacher for making my day; heck, the way 2022's going I probably should have thanked her for making my year. Of all the things that I hoped might happen when I started making them two years ago I never could have imagined that a group of second graders would find them so fascinating that they, as a class, would choose to watch them.

Now do you see why my mind was blown?

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment