Thursday, June 23, 2022

Thursday, 6/23

Are you taking advantage of every single second of daylight these days?

Mandy and I were talking about the longest and shortest days of the year on the air yesterday, focusing (for some reason) on the first day of winter, when people can leave their home, go to work, go home, and not see a lick of sun because of the shortness of the day. Well, last night, for some bizarre reason, I was jolted awake in the middle of the night by the thought that the exact opposite of that is happening right now.

And then, of course, I couldn't get back to sleep.

But when you think of it, it's true. Say someone goes to bed at 10pm and wakes up at 6am. If they were to do that any time during the next few weeks in Marquette, they'd be going to bed just after the sun had set and the sky was still light. They'd then be waking several minutes after sunrise, when the sky was filled with light. They'd go to bed when it was light and wake up when it was light, not seeing a lick of darkness, just like some people don't see a lick of sun on the first day of winter.

Nah; I don't think it's a concept worth getting up for in the middle of the night, but what does my sub-conscious know, right?

Back in the days when I Roller-bladed (back before I cracked a rib after wiping out and Loraine told me I couldn't Roller-blade any more) I used to go out at 10pm on the first day of summer and blade around a bit, just because I could. I mean, there aren't a lot of places in the U.S. where you can do that. But because we're on the far western edge of a time zone and because we're quite far north, we get to do stuff like that. I always felt that I should do just because we could, just because no one else could.

Maybe THAT'S why I wake up in the middle of the night with weird ideas.

Anyway, now that we're living through the longest days of the year I hope I won't be awoken with any more weird ideas such as that one. I mean, I'm not counting on it, but one can always hope, right?

Anyway, hope you're making the most of the daylight this time of the year!

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment