Thursday, October 28, 2021

Thursday, 10/28

 Why yes, I HAVE lost my mind. Thanks for asking.

You know how, between Radio Jim, TV Jim, and History Jim, I always seem to have too much to do? Especially during the winter months, when I can't play outside and sometimes overload my schedule? For instance, coming up in the next few months I have all my usual work stuff, all my usual TV stuff, a big Kaufman show with Jack, a bunch of newspaper articles (including one next week) to write, and actually trying to get my “The Greasier The Spoon” documentary finished. So why, oh why, would I think about taking on another project?

Because I, apparently, have lost my mind.

And I should know better, because I've tackled this project twice before, and I know how time consuming it can be. The project to which I'm referring is another season of those “Pieces of the Past” short videos I produced, first during the pandemic lockdown (when I didn't have anything else to do) and then again last year because I wanted to learn my new video editing software. There's no immediate, burning reason I have to produce another series of the videos, yet here I am, mulling over ideas and a different concept for them.

Because I, apparently, have lost my mind.

I'm actually considering it for a couple of different reasons. One is that people keep asking me if I'm doing more of them and/or give me ideas for ones they'd like to see. If I knew how to say “no” to things I wouldn't even take that into consideration, but 1) I don't know how to say “no” and b). I've actually been given a few goods ideas I haven't done yet.

Not only that, but I've had an idea pop into my head while running the past few days. Instead of me doing all the videos, why not shoot experts on certain subjects and have them talk about what they know on those subjects? There are people out there who know a LOT more about certain things that do I, and it would be nice to learn something from them. From a personal point of view, I think that would be a cool thing. And all I'd have to do is shoot them, find pictures, write up parts of it, edit their video, and post it. That would only, oh, double the work I have to do on each piece, at least compared to the first two seasons I produced.

Have I mentioned that I've apparently...oh, never mind.

I have no idea if I'm actually going to tackle this project. All I know is that my collection of notes on subjects to think about and people to possibly feature keeps growing, and that's never a good thing. That often means my brain has committed to something, even though I haven't personally agreed to it yet. I dunno; we'll see how it goes. Maybe I'll yet come to my senses and either say “no” or put it off until I have time to tackle it. Maybe...although I wouldn't count on it.

Because, apparently, I have lost my mind. Yet again.

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment