Monday, October 4, 2021

Monday, 10/4

 Oh...what to wear. What to wear?

TV Jim has a problem that Radio Jim never has to worry about, and that's making sure I look good. Or, at least, look presentable, seeing as how I'm not quite sure that I can ever look good. When I'm just Radio Jim I can dress however I want, assuming that the clothes I choose don't have too many holes in them and are reasonably wrinkle free.

TV Jim? Not so much.

I bring this up because one of my projects the past weekend was to finalizing what I'm gonna wear this year on “High School Bowl”. We start taping the first show tomorrow, and as I've mentioned we're shooting the first few weeks in different segments, so I had to make sure everything (including what color mask to wear so it matches my tie for the week) was on point so I know which clothes to bring for which taping.

Because, for several of the weeks coming up I have to bring different sets of clothes and change them between segments.

A normal job doesn't really require that.

8-)

So here's what I did. I figured out what I have in my closet, and what I've been thinking of picking up for future use. I then (and don't laugh here) write down all the combinations on 3x5 cards. I stare at the 3x5 cards for a while, and then start to move them around, until I think I have a schedule that varies color & texture throughout the season. Then I write down which sets I needed on which dates

Once again, just let me say that a normal job doesn't require that.

There's actually no reason to do all that. I mean, I could probably wear the same clothes on the show for three weeks in a row and no one would notice. That way I wouldn't have to change clothes in the middle of a taping. There's no reason for me to go through all this effort, and yet all that effort has been gone through.

It's not easy being me. Really, it isn't.

Anyway, I seem to have worked out all the kinks, and think I know what I'm wearing each week of the show this year and which clothes to bring during which weeks. Of course, if this is like years past, I'll end up buying something halfway through the year and want to wear it as soon as possible, thereby throwing my system all out of whack. But if that happens, I'll just do what I always do...haul the 3x5 cards out again, and start the whole thing over.

Yes, I'm a dork. What's your point?

****

Like I said tomorrow we tape the first half (and only the first half) of the first show of the season, and we do it on a brand-new set! I'll share those pictures (and the story of how more people than ever will be able to watch the show) tomorrow.

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment