Thursday, October 14, 2021

Thursday, 10/14

 Now I'm kind of embarrassed.

We've been shooting episodes of “High School Bowl” left and right and, as we've done for the seven years I've hosted the show, we have an interview segment in the middle of things. On one of the episodes we shot Tuesday I chatted with a young lady from Norway who wanted to live in the world of a certain Broadway musical. I made a joke afterwards, she laughed and answered the way I thought she would, and it wasn't until I woke up in the middle of the night last night that I realized I had made a big mistake.

Oops.

The student wanted to live in the world of the musical “Heathers”, based on the 90s movie about a group of girls. The joke I made (and she answered) was actually about the film “Mean Girls”, another movie about a group of girls but nothing at all like “Heathers”. So I, once again, despite my supposed mastery of pop culture, blew it big time, and this time on TV.

As I always say, some days I amaze even myself. And usually not in a good way.

I think I mentioned a habit of mine off-handedly yesterday, about sometimes trying to shoehorn a joke in where a joke may not fit. This might very well be one of those instances; I could've just let her answer stand, and this all would have been avoided. But no...I had to go for the laugh, and look what I did.

I are a genius, apparently.

Now, I realize that 98% of the people watching the show either won't know I goofed or care that I goofed. And I'm thankful for that. But I know I made a mistake, and it was a mistake that could have been easily avoided if, you know, I had actually thought about it. But nope...

I didn't know the difference between “Heathers” and “Mean Girls”. For that, I will now go in the corner and feel shame.

Really, I will.

*****

However, before I go into that corner and feel shame, I do have to wish one of the sweetest people in the history of sweet people a happy birthday! My niece Mallory (the one whose bookmark I take to Europe with me every time I go (at least when I'm able to go)) turns another year older today, and in keeping with family tradition really isn't planning much in the way of a celebration. However, she was kind enough to share some raspberry cheesecake bars with me yesterday as a way of marking the event, and I do appreciate that.

Happy birthday Mallory!!!!!

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment