Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Wednesday, 6/14

I STILL haven't gotten my bike out the basement. And I really need to, if only because I have to use it one week from tonight.

I wrote in here a few weeks ago about how I hadn't gotten my bike out of storage yet. That's rare for me; after all, my bike and I usually have this long, eight-month affair every year. But because of the crappy weather in May and because of a crowded schedule on my part, I haven't had the chance to resume that affair.

But seeing as how I'm giving a bike tour for the History Center one week from tonight, I'm thinking I really DO need to get it out. Either that, or I'm gonna be running nine miles next Wednesday night while everyone else is on two wheels.

Seeing as how I use my bike for most of my transportation during the summer, I'm just as surprised as you that it's still sitting in my basement. I'm usually on it most of the weekend and when I take a half-day off, but seeing as how my weekends have been busy and the weather's only been nice enough for one half day so far this year, I haven't missed it as much as I normally might. But I've been getting this feeling recently, this feeling like I might be missing out on a big part of my summer, so I've made this resolution--

Tonight or tomorrow night, I'm going down in the basement and pulling the sucker out. I'll pump up the tires, oil the chain, and clean the dust off the seat. Then this weekend, if not before, I'm gonna ride it, hope that it remembers me fondly, and hope that it doesn't try to throw me off as payback for neglecting it.

Keep your fingers crossed.

*****

Like I said, I have the bike tour for the History Center next week. If you recall, it's the first of four different thingees I'm doing for them this summer. You probably don't care, but here's an update on the rest—the “Docks of Iron Bay” walking tour for July 19th is done, and the article on Marquette and alcohol I'm writing for the Center's “Harlow's Wooden Man” newsletter is finished, except for the punching up of a few gags.

I'm guessing that's a problem almost everyone else who's ever written for it hasn't had to say.

That leaves the “21 Pictures” outdoor show I'm doing the evening of August 18th. I have most of the pictures, and I kinda know what I wanna talk about, but I'm having trouble deciding what tone it should be. I mean, it's an outdoor show late on a Friday night, which makes me, at least, think of it comedy-oriented affair, but the pictures I've picked out are, by and large, “history” pictures designed to make you go “wow” more than laugh.

Oh well. I have two months to figure it out. And if I can wait this long to get my bike out, I can also wait a little while longer before figuring that out.


No comments:

Post a Comment