Monday, June 12, 2017

Monday, 6/12

Ladies, gentlemen, or whatever other option you may choose—I think we have a winner.

Loraine and I took advantage of the 90-degree day Saturday to go on a big long walk and sniff lilacs, which are now at their full peak here in Marquette. If I had to guess, we probably stuck our noses in close to 100 bushes, including my favorite down the street from where we live, but in the end I think we both agree that this one was the winner--



This tree, on the bike path near the firefighter's memorial in Lower Harbor Park, is one of the weirdest lilac trees we came across. As long-time readers of this know, I'm not very knowledgeable about anything related to horticulture, but it seems to me like this lilac tree might've been a hybrid. It looks like it has white blooms, but then when you get close you notice that there are pink parts to the flowers, too, almost like it's a mix between a regular bush and a white bush-



I don't know exactly why it looks like that, nor do I care. All I know is that the flowers smell heavenly. They smell like regular lilacs, but with an extra little “zip” that ups their lilac-iness (trademark coming on that made up word, by the way) by about 70%. In fact, they smell so good that there are two huge regular lilac trees right next to this one, and after sniffing this hybrid you sniff the regular blossoms and it's like...”Oh, that smells nice”.

Because it smells nothing like the hybrid tree.

So if you're in the neighborhood in the next few days, seek out and sniff the hybrid tree before the blooms die off. You won't be sorry!

*****

Before we leave the subject of lilacs for (probably) the year, here are a couple of more shots from this weekend--







Tomorrow, two songs and why they're stuck in my head.





No comments:

Post a Comment