Thursday, June 1, 2017

Thursday, 6/1

Okay...by the narrowest skin of your teeth, you won't have to listen to me talk about the five best colors for Frisbees today--



(Although, just for the record (and in order), those colors would be black, neon yellow, bright blue, hot pink, and classic red. I didn't want you to be left wondering...)

The lilacs are FINALLY starting to pop out, although it's been a slow & painful process, much like the wait for the arrival of summer this year. However, being the eternal optimist that I am, I'm taking to heart words my father-in-law uttered over the weekend. He's a guy who grew up around farms and seems to know a lot about things that grow, so when he mentioned that he's noticed over the years that the longer it takes the lilacs to come out, the longer they live, I was happy.

Because if that's the case, these lilacs should be out for the rest of summer (or whatever passes for summer this year).

Someone asked me why I have this things for lilacs, and I couldn't explain why. I've just always loved the smell. Maybe, like many things in life, it goes back to childhood and the lilacs trees my grandparents had in their front yard. Maybe I just have an overabundance of whatever brain cells or nasal receptors lock into the scent. Maybe I'm just weird.

It wouldn't be the first time, you know.

So I'll give you the warning I give out every year around this time. If you see me on the street with my head planted into a lilac tree, I'm not being held hostage. My head's not stuck in the branches, nor is a squirrel trying to mug me. I'm just sniffing and inhaling as deeply as I can before I pass out.

Yes, I know I have a problem. My name is Jim, and I'm a lilac-holic.


No comments:

Post a Comment