Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Tuesday, 6/13

The two songs were recorded 43 years apart, yet for some reason I can't get either one out of my head.

I think it was just last week or so that I wrote about how my pea brain, once it gets a song stuck in it, won't let go. Well, over the weekend it happened with two different songs, both of which seem to be running on repeat in my head.

The first is Loraine's fault. When we went grocery shopping Saturday, the one time of the week we're actually in her car, we popped in a Gordon Lightfoot CD. One of the songs that played was one of his two U.S. number one songs, “Sundown”. I haven't heard it in forever, and it's a song I've kinda liked since I was a kid, so I started humming along with it.

Big mistake, because I've now been humming along with the song for four straight days.



Because I've known about the song since it came out, it's not a surprise that once I was reintroduced to it it lodged itself in my brain. After all, we had some catching up to do. The other song that's been on repeat in my head is a song that's nothing like “Sundown”, yet I am also not surprised that it's lodged in my brain.

Why? Because it is nothing but one giant musical hook. World, let me introduce you to Computer Games' “Every Single Night”.



Computer Games is actually “Glee” actor Darren Criss and his brother _______, who've released a 3-song EP with 80's influenced tunes. I saw the video for this on MTVu, bought the single, and listened to it (at last count) 23 times in a row. At first listen I thought it was the greatest Haircut 100 song Haircut 100 (an obscure English group from the early 80s) never recorded. Then, after listening to it those 23 times in a row, I realized it was much more than that. It was like if Chicago and Miami Sound Machine had a musical love child, and then had that musical love child by one or all of the Hanson brothers (the musical brothers who gave us “Hmm Bop”, not the hockey brothers who gave us “Let's put on the foil”. That probably would've produced an entirely different kind of song).

Why that song started to mash-up in my mind with “Sundown” I'm not quite sure, seeing as how they are nothing alike. One's a 70's folk-pop song with interesting lyrical content, the other is a new throwback that (ear)worms its way into your brain. Yet for some reason they're both there, and both fighting with everything else in my head for whatever limited brain power I have. So if you see me walking down the street the next few days and I happen to be humming (or even outright singing) a song, you'll know it's one of two.

One you may know, and one you don't know yet. Although, now that I think about it, I'll start playing it on the air. Maybe it'll get stuck in YOUR brain, too!

No, that's okay. You can thank me later...

8-)


No comments:

Post a Comment