Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Wednesday, 1/31

I’m not quite sure what to make of this. For the third time in the last few weeks someone has asked me if I’ve been in Florida and/or a tanning booth recently. And to that I can say this--

No, and no.

It started a couple of weeks ago when a lady in a grocery store asked me that question. It continued Friday when a listener who stopped in to get a prize asked it again. And then Saturday at the Noque someone I haven’t seen for a couple of years asked it for a third time.

No, I haven’t been to Florida, and gawd no, I haven’t been in a tanning booth (I like my skin cancer-free, thank you very much). I just have a dark complexion. Always have, and from the sounds of it, always will. When I'm out in the sun a lot in the summer I get a little (but not really) tan, and it seems to stay with me for the next nine months until I'm ready to play outside in the summer sun again. I pretty much look the same in January as I do in July. I don't know why; maybe I'm just a genetic freak that way.

Wouldn't be the first time.

I’ve written in here a lot the past few years about my ethnic heritage, and how there are at least seven different nationalities that make up “me”. Over the past couple of years, I’ve started to think that there must be at least an eighth nationality in there somewhere, because of the ones I know of for sure--Irish, English, Scottish, Swedish, Finnish, German, and French--there aren’t a lot of people with dark complexions in there. I’m guessing that somewhere in my background there must be some Mediterranean in me (hopefully either Greek or Italian, because I love both foods). Either that, or thanks to invasion of Ireland a thousand or so years ago, I have some Moorish blood in me. No matter what, though, I’m thinking there’s at least one part of my background yet unaccounted for. And it’s probably on my dad’s side, as he and I share the same complexion.

Although he actually HAS been in Florida recently.

Anyway, I don’t give my complexion a second thought, but others must. Apparently I must be standing out to other people more than I have in the past. While I’ve had comments like this before, I’ve never had three of them in the span of a few weeks. I don’t know what it is; I don't know if I'm wearing colors that makes my skin tone stand out. I don’t know if people have just started to notice my skin color more. Or maybe, just maybe, I actually AM turning darker. I know a lot of weird things happen as you age. Maybe this is just one of the weirder. I don't know.

I just know it's part of being me!



No comments:

Post a Comment