Thursday, January 25, 2018

Thursday, 1/25

It's been a month now. Don't you think they should start to come down soon?

While out running early in the morning I happened to pass probably a half dozen homes spread throughout the city of Marquette, homes that proudly had Christmas trees in their front windows. Not only did they have the trees still proudly displayed, but they had them fully lit up, which is why I noticed them in the first place.

Even though Christmas was a month ago today.

Now I'm not here to rain on anyone's Christmas parade, especially after what I wrote on Tuesday. But we're now just a couple of weeks away from Valentine's Day, which is itself just a month away from St. Patrick's Day, which is then just two weeks away from Easter. Shouldn't it be time to look forward to what's coming up instead of still celebrating that which has been?

Or am I looking at this the wrong way? I know there are people who just love the Christmas holidays. There are people who get their decorations out right as the leaves change colors, and there are people who start to listen to Christmas songs while the rest of us are looking forward to “It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown”. I get that. I get that feeling of anticipation for your favorite time of the year. I do the same myself when the weather first hints at warmth and I start looking forward to summer. But once October rolls around I know it's time to put away the flips flops and beach gear and haul out the winter stuff. I don't want to, and wish I didn't have to, but I do it.

And maybe that's how the people with their Christmas trees up still feel.

I remember a phone call I took on the air a decade or so ago, when somehow the topic of Christmas lights came up. The caller complained about her neighbor, a gentleman in the city of Marquette who still had his outdoor lights up and turned on every evening. Mind you, this was in May, if I recall correctly, and she was wondering if he was ever going to take them down. So I guess I'm not alone in this. There probably SHOULD be a limit to how long you have your Christmas stuff up.

Maybe a month's okay, though. Maybe the people who still have the trees up are basking in the afterglow of the holidays. Maybe they had a really great Christmas season, and don't want it to end. Maybe they had family members who couldn't make it home for the actual holidays and are just getting around to celebrating them now. In that case, we'll cut them some slack, and let things be, at least for now.

However, if I go running a month from today and the tress are still up and lit...well, then, we may have to revisit this discussion. And maybe—just maybe—we won't be quite as understanding.

We'll have to see.

8-)


No comments:

Post a Comment