Monday, January 15, 2018

Monday, 1/15

Do you think you make a difference?

On a day like today, on this particular holiday, I always wonder if I’ve made enough of a difference. The individual who we honor today once said, and I quote, “We must work unceasingly to uplift this nation that we love to a higher destiny, to a higher plateau of compassion, to a more noble expression of humanness". I’ve always tried to do my part; I don’t know whether or not I’ve succeeded, but I’ve always tried to do my part.

When I look back at everything I’ve done in the past year, I know that I’ve done a lot of different things, but part of me always wonders if they’re things that make a difference. Sure, I give a lot of tours and do a lot of programs and help with a lot of other things, but is that really making a “difference”? I mean, when I think of people who make a “difference”, I think of the people who’ve moved to other countries to help with victims of natural disasters. I think of people who selflessly take in homeless children. I think of people who protest against the many wrongs that take place in our world. I think of people who put their lives on the line every day so their fellow human beings can live in some semblance of peace.

Those are people who really make a difference, people who work unceasingly to uplift this nation—this planet—to a higher destiny. Sometimes, I feel like I’m just falling a bit short in that respect, you know?
When I was young, I wanted to make a name for myself. But like most people, as I’ve aged I’ve come to understand that it’s just not in my destiny to change the world single-handedly. I’ll probably never be written up in history books, I’ll probably never have a memorial built to me, and my name won’t be mentioned by generations to come. As I’ve grown, I’ve become okay with that.

But in my own way, I still want to make a difference. I want to do whatever I can to make the place in which I live a better place in which to live, to help my people who may not be as fortunate or as free from persecution as am I, and to leave whatever little mark I can in the time I have on this planet. I may not be able to change the planet, but I DO want to make a difference, at least as much of a difference as possible. And that’s why, on a day like today, I wonder if I’m doing just that, living up to the challenge of one particular man who DID make a difference.
And on that note, happy King Day. If you feel like watching this, watch this. It just might be the single greatest piece of oratory this planet has ever known. And you wouldn't think it would be as timely today as it was 55 years ago, but, sadly, it is.


No comments:

Post a Comment