Monday, January 29, 2018

Monday, 1/29

Maybe I should just stop talking. Maybe THAT will help.

As you may recall, it was one of THOSE weekends, a three day span spent shooting TV, announcing a couple of thousand names at a ski race, and taking care of a bunch of other stuff, I now find myself with a rather sore throat, probably thanks to vocal chords that have been pushed beyond their limits of tolerance.

Oh, goody.

Thankfully, I haven't actually lost my voice. It juts hurts a little when I speak, and that makes me think of two things. The first is what athletic trainers tell you—if something really hurts when you're working it, you might wanna stop doing it lest you risk injuring it further. And the second?

I'm not really in the right career field to stop talking for a day or two to let my voice rest.

It's funny; I'm probably in one of the few jobs where it's worse to lose your voice than it would be to lose your mind. I mean, think about it—without a voice in radio, you're nothing. You're dead air. You're like a mime with no one to annoy. But if you lose your mind; well, that's a different matter. You can still speak. What you say may no make much sense, and you might not be on the air very long (especially if you boss is listening), but you could still be on the air.

Unlike, say, someone without a voice.

Like I said, though, I'm lucky in that regard. I can still speak. It's just a little uncomfortable when I do it, especially when I speak with any kind of volume. So if I in any way sound weird on the air today (and I don't think that I will), you now have the reason why.

I just really need to stop talking for a day or two.

****
Speaking of the ski race I announced on Saturday, I had a great time as usual at the Noquemanon. The thing, though, that blows my mind? I have now announced at the race finish line for each of the 20 years it's been around. Twenty years. Two decades. One of those “scores” Abraham Lincoln was talking about. I have done all of them. How the heck did THAT happen?

You discover weird things (and start marveling about them) as you get old(er), I guess...

No comments:

Post a Comment