Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Tuesday, 1/23

I was gonna be sarcastic today.

I was gonna be REALLY sarcastic today, in fact. I was going to post a picture of one of the “no dogs allowed” signs at the entrance to Marquette’s Fit Strip, and then I was going to post the text of the city ordinance that says all owners must keep their dogs in a leash while out in public. I was then going to share the observation that the one or two percent of dogs owners who don’t follow the law must do so because they have trouble reading, and I was going to propose we consider setting up an “Illiterate Dogs Owners” fund to teach them the joy of reading.

But you know what? Life’s too short, especially for sarcasm like that.

As I mentioned yesterday, Saturday morning caused a bit of disillusion on my part. I mentioned I was walking home from something when I saw the hat had been stolen from Phil's statue in downtown Marquette, but from where was I walking? Well, I was walking from an early morning cross-country ski around the Fit Strip. Because of the weather conditions it wasn't the best ski in the world, but I wanted to get some exercise. So I went. Little did I know that would mean going down a steep hill and having to bite a snow bank because several huge piles of dog crap were sitting in the tracks in front of me.

That was fun.

I know I complain about the very small minority of dog owners who don't follow the rules in here a lot. And maybe I shouldn't; after all, 98 percent of Marquette residents who own dogs are dreams. But the others? Well, the others feel their pets are more important than the human citizens of Marquette. And I was gonna whine about that today. But when you consider that there are people in this world who are starving or who are fighting for their basic human rights, dumb dogs owners are nothing. When you consider there are kids dealing with cancer and parents wondering where their next pay check is coming from or whether they'll be hated by other just because of who they are, dumb dog owners don’t matter one iota.

There are minor inconveniences in the world, and then there are PROBLEMS in the world. On the scale of things, I know where this falls.

I’d like to think that I’m not a very self-involved person. I’d like to think that I’m well aware of the fact that the world does not revolve around me, and that not everything in the world that goes wrong does so just to piss me off. I have a good life. In fact, despite some of the complaining I’ve done in here recently, I have a GREAT life. I have enough food. Because I was lucky enough to be born a straight (off-) white male, I don’t have anyone trying to deny me my rights. I have a job, I have my health, and I have the love of a great woman and a great family.

That is what I should be focusing on. The inconsideration of a very small subset of people, and my response to them, pales in comparison to everything else.

So I’m making this vow--2018 will be the year I devote every iota of energy I have to the good things I have in life and to the possibility of good things for everyone all around the planet. The little inconveniences? They don’t even deserve the energy I’d have to expend to come up with a sarcastic response.

That’s my vow. If I slip a little bit over the next few months, forgive me. And call me out on it, too. After all, as we all know, I’m nowhere near perfect. But hopefully I can at least be a little better, even if others can't (or won't).


No comments:

Post a Comment