Thursday, January 18, 2018

Thursday, 1/18

Don't worry. I will actually get to it, and get to it soon.

Yesterday I mentioned today's blog would be about your responses to the historical “what if” piece I wrote on Tuesday, the one that supposed Calumet had actually become the capital of Michigan. Well, for two reasons, I'm gonna wait until tomorrow to post it and, unlike last week when I never did get around to writing the blog about why computers are stupid, I WILL get to this one. I promise.

Now, I'm sure the curious among you are wondering why I'm not doing it today, and like I said I actually do have two good reasons. The first is that I'm still getting in a few notes from people who took the time to read Tuesday's blog, and I want to make sure that they have the chance to get their two cents in. As you may know, some people read this on a daily basis, while other binge-read them two or three or a week at a time. I'm just waiting to hear from those people. The other reason?

Hugh Wilson died Tuesday.

Who is (or, more appropriately was)Hugh Wilson? Well, Hugh Wilson was a movie director of some modest success, with films like the original “Police Academy” and “First Wives Club” to his credit. But that's not why I'm interrupting regularly scheduled programming to write about him. Nope; while Hugh Wilson did have a little modest success as a director, he was best known for creating and being the driving force behind one of the best TV shows ever, one of my favorites of all time, “WKRP in Cincinnati”.

That's why I pre-empted your regularly scheduled blog.

Those of you who've read this over the past few years may remember my abject joy when the entire series was finally released (with most of the original music) on DVD back in '14 or '15. I killed a good chunk of the winter that year watching all 88 episodes, and came away with a renewed appreciation for one of the most under-rated TV shows ever. I remember viewing it during its original run as a younger person and thinking it was an amazing show (one of the reasons I work in radio, I guess), but upon this latest viewing I was struck by just how deep and, on occasion, how subversive the show was. It was never given a chance by CBS; I think it had 12 different time periods in the four seasons it was on the air. But if the show was in first-run now, and given the proper chance to grow, I could see some cable network making a killing in terms of both ratings and prestige by airing it. To me, at least the show was that good.

If you ever have the chance, check out an episode or two for yourself. And while everyone would probably choose the most famous episode of the show—the Thanksgiving show where they dropped turkeys out of a helicopter—there are so many others that are simply amazing, like the first season's “A Commercial Break” or “Fish Story”, the second season's “In Concert”, the third season's (the best, in my opinion) “Real Families”, “Venus & the Man”, and “Clean Up Radio Everywhere”, and one of my favorites of all time, the two-part fourth season opener called “An Explosive Affair”. You can't go wrong with none of these. In fact, you probably can't go wrong with any of the show's episodes), but these are among the most outstanding.

Trust me on that.

Okay, I don't want to bore you, so that's all I'm gonna say. Tomorrow, we return to our regularly scheduled topic. I promise.


No comments:

Post a Comment