Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Wednesday, 1/24

I think that, as plans go, it's a good plan to have.

We now know the two teams in this year's Super Bowl, the Philadelphia Eagles and the team that a vast majority of Americans despise with every fiber of their being (or is that just me?) Normally, like most people, I'll look forward to watching the game and, as has happened way too many times in my life, end up getting my heart ripped out because the team that a vast majority of Americans despise with every fiber of their being manages to pull out yet another miraculous victory.

But not this year.

Being an Indianapolis Colts fan, I've suffered more than my share of heartache thanks to the team that a vast majority of Americans despise with every fiber of their being, and no one knows that better than my dear wife. So when she found out that that particular team was back in the Super Bowl again this year, she came up with a plan, a plan I think will work perfectly.

Instead of sitting down with the game and (most likely) having my heart ripped out again, I'm gonna DVR it. That way, I can go back and watch the commercials and, should a miracle occur, actually see what happens. And while the game is being DVR'd the two of us will eat pizza and watch “Star Wars” movies.

That's MUCH better than having my heart ripped out yet again, isn't it?

I'm pretty sure Loraine came up with the plan not to save me from having my heart ripped out yet again but to save herself from having to listen to me groaning and wailing in despair for four hours. I figured it out; there have probably been almost two dozen times over the past 15 years that she's had to experience me going into a football game full of optimism but having it end by me sitting in a corner muttering to myself. Like I said, I've been a Colts fan for a long time, and if there's one team that year in and year out put the kibosh on the football season it was the team that a vast majority of Americans despise with every fiber of their being. Add to that other assorted miracle wins on their part (capped by last year's Super Bowl), and it's just become ridiculous.

So that's why I'm not watching the Super Bowl live this year. I deserve it, Loraine definitely deserves it, and besides—can you think of a better way to spend a Sunday night than eating pizza and watching “Star Wars” movies?

It sure beats getting my heart ripped out once again.



No comments:

Post a Comment