Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Tuesday, 1/30

I'm ashamed of my alma mater.

I went running this morning, and as always happens when I'm running on a cold day I was wearing a ratty old Michigan State hoodie that I picked up when I was a student there. After all these years it's frayed, it has holes in it, and it's on its third or fourth drawstring. Basically, it's falling apart.

Much like Michigan State itself.

I don't know if you're aware of what's going on, but between the shocking Larry Nassar trial and an explosive story from ESPN dealing with the systemic cover-up of sexual and domestic abuse by athletes and coaches at the school, Michigan State's reputation is falling apart on a daily basis. The school's president and athletic director have resigned, and officials in state government are looking into whether the school's Board of Trustees—elected by Michigan voters—can be dismissed or recalled.

It's a great day to be a Spartan, isn't it?

In all honesty, I really don't think about my alma mater that much. I went there, I had a good time, I graduated, and I moved on. I haven't been back in a decade or so, and I always toss their letters begging for money in the recycling bin. I'm a State alum, but I'm also a lot of other things. So maybe I'm not the best person to comment on this. But I would think that any human being, alumni or not, would look at what's been going on down in East Lansing and throw up a little in their mouth.

It's that bad.

If you have the interest and you haven't eaten recently, I advise you to read the ESPN "Outside the Lines" story. The systemic cover-up of what's been going on in the athletic department for almost a decade now borders on the nauseating. And I think my disgust about the whole thing was magnified when I read WHY the school covered these incidents up. That reason, and I'm quoting from the story here, is that that “didn't want to tarnish the Spartan brand”.

Uhm, I don't think you have to worry about 'Tarnishing the brand” any more. I'm pretty sure that ship has sailed.

The thing is, the actions of the few who perpetrated the deeds and covered them up outweigh the many people at State who do amazing work. World-class research in a variety of fields is done there. I'm sure countless lives have been saved because of what people did at Michigan State. But now all people will think of when they hear the words “Michigan State” is abuse, degradation, misogyny, and cover-up. It'll take decades for the school's reputation to recover, assuming it ever does. But, you know, at least “the brand" wasn't tarnished.

Idiots.

My only hope now is that the school does right by the hundreds (if not thousands) of women and men who were abused, humiliated, and violated in the past decade. I also hope that the school gets rid of every person still remaining who played a part in the incidents, no matter how famous or beloved they are. Maybe then, and only then, can the school being the decades-long process to repair its “brand”, tattered reputation.

A reputation that's so bad it makes my mangy sweatshirt look good.


No comments:

Post a Comment