Friday, September 29, 2017

Friday, 9/29

Since I have to run off and tape the season's first episodes of “High School Bowl” (and seeing as how they're the season's first episodes I'd like to get there early and get organized), I'm gonna leave you with something I wrote four years ago on this date. It's kind of funny; when I re-read it, I thought it would've been something I would've written today no matter what the year. Just take out the references to actual dates, and we'd be set.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Have yourself a great weekend, and I'll be back with details on how the first shoot of the year went Monday!


****

(as originally posted 9/30/13):

Wait. September’s already over?????

I seem to recall writing something similar back at the end of either May or June, and I also recall ending that something I had written with the prediction (or warning) that come the end of August or the end of September I’d be doing the same thing, because by the end of August or the end of September I’d still be shocked at how quickly time has flown past.

Well, it’s nice to know that I can accurately forecast the future, right? Either that, or I’m just really too predictable in the things about which I whine. I’ll leave it up to you to choose which is more correct.

Saying “goodbye” to September really is like saying “goodbye” to summer, even if this year we didn’t really have much of a summer to say “goodbye” to. Heading into October you know you may have a nice day or two pop up here or there, but you also know that there’s an equal (if not better) chance that you’ll see the first snowflake of the year, even though the last one you saw was on May 26th (and even though you know that knowing the last snow flake you saw was on May 26th shows that you have some deeply rooted problems!)

I know that there are some people—heck, I know that there are many people—who just love October, who think it’s the greatest month of the year. They like the cooler temperatures; they love the colors and the crisp, sharp smell you get when out walking among the falling leaves. And I can see the appeal in all that, especially in the changing colors. But it also means that my favorite time of the year is over.

Much in the same way skiers mourn April or deer hunters mourn December, I kind of mourn the end of September. Like I mentioned before, it signals the end of my favorite time of the year. And it means that, unless we have another weird and wacky year like 2013 (which I’m not ruling out), it’ll be another seven or eight months before we can head outside and play in the warm sun. I know that for most people that’s not that big of a deal, but apparently I’m special in that way.

Aren’t I lucky?

Don’t worry; after today, I shan’t bring it up again. After all, I whine about the weather enough in here, and if I can remember back that far, I believe my New Year’s resolution was to try to cut down on my whining about the weather and things way out of my control. However, today marked a significant cut-off point in that regard, and I just felt that it should be observed.

So I’ll shut up now.


No comments:

Post a Comment