Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Tuesday, 9/19

Okay. The dreams can stop any time now.

As most of you know I drove almost 2,000 kilometers (1,200 or so miles) during our European getaway. For me, that's somewhere between 85 and 90 percent of the total mileage I drive all year, compacted into a 9 or so day span. And I'm guessing that's the reason why, every night since we've gotten back, I've had dreams about driving.

Some dreams I'm just driving around like a normal person does. Some dreams, I'm driving around in circles, not knowing where I'm going (much like several days we experienced in Europe). And in some dreams I think I'm driving but, as it turns out, I'm actually doing something else (like running) when I'm supposed to be driving.

The human brain is weird, isn't it?

This is the first time I've had dreams about driving after returning from a trip. Normally, at least as far as I've noticed, I've NEVER had dreams about driving, especially for 10 days in a row (and counting). I don't know what caused it; sure, all the construction and detours that we rain into this time were a hassle, but nothing that (I thought) would've scarred my psyche to the extent that I'd have dreams about driving for a week and a half straight. And if that were the case, wouldn't you think that all of my dreams would tend toward the bizarre and/or nightmarish? Nope; a large chunk of the dreams just involve me driving without getting lost or me driving with all my clothes on.

I don't get it.

But then, that's kind of the point of dreams, right? It's your subconscious trying to work out whatever issues it's dealing with at the moment. You're not supposed to entirely understand them. You're just supposed to wake from them feeling refreshed. Or, in this case, with a weird feeling that your brain's not doing what it's supposed to do.

Maybe, deep down, my brain is telling me that it misses driving. After all, I never had dreams like this when I drove to work all the time. And I didn't have any dreams about driving while I was actually driving every day in Europe. The dreams didn't start until I came back and stopped driving. So maybe that does have something to do with it. The only thing is...how come I didn't have these dreams after coming back from Europe any of the other times I also drove everywhere?

I don't get it.

Hopefully, one night soon I'll have normal dreams, dreams of Loraine or of chocolate or of flying on a dragon while wearing a kilt (what...you don't have dreams like that?). Either that, or pretty soon I'll start having dreams about entering an around the world driving rally, or something like that.

With my brain, you never know.

***

Before I leave you today, a big shout-out to the two people without whom I would not be possible...my mom & dad. It's their anniversary today, so if you know 'em and see them around, make sure you congratulate them. And also, don't forget that I need your vote to tell me which picture should be on my computer desktop for the next year. Scroll down to yesterday's entry to see the choices!



No comments:

Post a Comment