Friday, September 22, 2017

Friday, 9/22

We all know that calendars don't lie. Apparently, though, it's quite easy to fool them.

Welcome to the first full, official day of Autumn, a season usually marked by changing leaves, dropping temperatures, and at least here in the UP, the chance of snow lurking behind every corner. Yet on this first full day of Autumn, as well as the second and third full days of Autumn, we in the UP are slated to have our warmest three-day stretch of 2017, with highs in the mid to upper 80s.

Guess we won't have to worry about that snow lurking behind any corners this weekend, right?

Obviously, I'm not complaining about our weather this weekend; anyone who's read even one of these would know better than that. And while I'd MUCH rather have had this weekend in June (or July, or August), I guess you take it when you can get it. But it continually amazes me how swiftly what we perceive as “normal” in weather is changing. Highs of 88 on the first day of fall in the UP? Sure; why not? Two Category Five hurricanes in one week in the Atlantic? Bring 'em on. Conditions that lead to fire all over the western US and Canada? Who needs water?

Wow. I don't know if I wanna see what's coming next. All I know (and I am fairly certain about this) is that it'll be nastier, deadlier, and even more weird (88 degrees on September 24th?) than ever before. And that's not a good thing.

However, that won't stop me from enjoying the heat this weekend. Hopefully, I won't feel too guilty about it, but we haven't had two straight days of temps in the 80s this year, much less three. Like I said before, you have to take them when you can get them.

Even if it is during the first three official days of Autumn.

*****

Before I let you go for the weekend, I have to thank everyone who cast their vote for which picture should appear on my work computer desktop for the year. I'm a little surprised at which one you chose—I thought for sure you would've went for the cow or the castle in Heidelberg. But nope; thanks to your input, for the next year I get to look at the entrance to the Stadt Garten in Freiburg--



I think I can live with that choice.

Okay. Now you can go for the weekend. Make sure you get out and play if it's nice where you live!


No comments:

Post a Comment