Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Wednesday, 6/26

Yes, I'm a radio nerd. What's your point?

Even when I was a little kid I was drawn into the world of radio by, believe it or not, clear channel AM stations, those major market stations broadcasting at 50,000 watts at night, which means that you could hear them all across the country. When you're a dorky little kid and can listen to stations like WLS in Chicago or WJR in Detroit or even (gasp) WCBS in New York, well, you can be warped for life.

And I'm the poster boy for that.

The reason I mention this is we're coming up on the 93rd anniversary of Marquette joining the radio world. And to me, that seems like the perfect time for a “Pieces of the Past” on the history of WBEO or, as the kids called it back in the 1930s, “We Bother Every One”. Like everything else in radio it's gone through some transformative changes in the past century, but if it wasn't for that station none of the 16 others in Marquette would exist.

And I would have been forced to become, you know, an adult by having to work at a real gig.

Enjoy!



(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment