Thursday, June 27, 2024

Thursday, 6/27

People on Tik Tok are really, really nice!

In the eight or nine days since I've become an accidental Tik Tok star (2.4 million views and counting on Emily's video) I've noticed something. Usually, if you read the comments left on any other social media site (Facebook, X, whatever) some of them are just really negative or, inn some cases, hateful. There's something about the anonymity of the Interwebs that bring out the worst in people, and you can often see that in comments left on some of those sites.

But not Tik Tok. I don't know how nor do I know why, but on Emily's video there are over 4,000 comments, and from what I've read not one of them was negative. Some of them were emojis, many of them just quoted back lines, and a whole bunch complimented either Emily or me (or both of us). But like I said, I don't think I saw one single piece of snark, criticism, or hate.

It was weird. Welcome, but weird.

That continued after Emily put up my “Life in the 906” from Monday night on the History Center's Tik Tok page. Once again, not a snotty or snarky comment anywhere, just things like “He's such a sweet soul” and “He rolled with it. He couldn't have handled that any better”. It's so refreshing to see that that it almost tempts me to dump all my other social media and sign up for the Tok. And you know what? If they actually allowed videos that were landscape (like a TV screen) instead of vertical (like a phone screen) I would. I mean, I know that shouldn't be a disqualifying factor, but I guess that's just the finicky artist in me.

My bad.

The past nine or ten days have been a trip in many different ways. However, discovering that people can actually be nice on social media? That might be the biggest trip of all.

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment