Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Wednesday, 8/23

I do believe I may have done my job

I don't in any way consider myself an artist, especially when it comes to photography. If I get a good shot it's mostly because of luck. Yet this past weekend I fulfilled one of the primary jobs of an artist, which is to have people look at something from a new perspective. In my case, apparently, I did it literally, with this picture--



That's taken on the west side of Marquette, standing near the corner of Lincoln & Bluff and looking southwest toward the Harlow Farms development. It's an angle that most people usually don't see; after all, most people don't stand on the sidewalk at the corner of Lincoln & Bluff. I stuck it up (along with a few other pictures) on the “You Know You're From Marquette If...” Facebook page, and out of all of them this one received by far the biggest reaction.

If only because most people had no idea where it was.

Several people recognized either the Admiral gas station in the foreground or the Blue Cross building the background. However, because of the perspective of the picture (or the lack thereof) they couldn't figure out exactly where those buildings sat. It's interesting, too, because I'm guessing a lot of the people who couldn't figure out where the buildings were drive past them every day. But because they don't look at them from the same angle from which I shot the picture, their sense of perspective was all skewed.

They knew what they were looking at. They just couldn't tell why it didn't look right. So I guess that, without even trying, I fulfilled my purpose as an artist with the picture.

Even though both you and I know I'm anything BUT an artist.

Tomorrow—more of the pictures I took Saturday!

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment