Thursday, August 17, 2023

Thursday, 8/17

Could today finally be the day that I have time to write something? Hang on a second...let me check here--clear. And then there—clear, as well.

Guess what? I don't have to be anywhere. I can write.

Yay.

You know, I don't even remember half of the things that I wanted to discuss with you. But the other half is rather clear, including why I didn't have time to write on Tuesday. That's when I sat down to be a Talking Head for a documentary.

And even for me, that was a first.

A "Talking Head" is someone you see in documentaries or TV shows, people who are offering their opinion or stating the facts on whichever topic the show is spotlighting. Well, a couple of months ago, I received a phone call from a filmmaker in Traverse City who was putting together a project on the old Delft and Nordic theater marquees, and wondered if I knew anything about them. While I really don't know a lot about that particular subject, it turns out I do know a little about the history of downtown as a whole, which they seemed to think was important, which is why I spent an hour in front of a camera answering questions about the subject.

Have I ever mentioned my life is weird?

Having made documentaries myself (although not on this scale or with (gasp) a budget), I know how important Talking Heads are. They're the meat clinging to the subject's bone. So if I was able to help out even just a little I was glad to do my part. If nothing else, you can think of it as paying it forward for the next time I may need someone to appear on camera. As it turns out, the filmmakers have been speaking with several other people, but I was the last. You see, they needed a little extra context, and, hopefully, I was able to provide it.

Why, you ask?  Well, I answer, if for no other reason than they'll be premiering this at Fresh Coast in October and really need to get it done. And if there's anyone who knows what it's like trying to finish a documentary on a tight deadline (hello, "The Greasier the Spoon") and just how much that one last Talking Head can help, it's me.

Hopefully, I was able to help them out. And hopefully, it'll show up on screen in October when they come back to Marquette with the finished project. I myself can't wait to see what they've come up with.

Tomorrow, another one of those things I remembered I wanted to talk about...this one about a different kind of art.

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment