Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Tuesday, 8/22

I did not see that coming

Yesterday, of course, was the busy day when I spent the afternoon doing radio, then ran around the corner to do live TV, then ran down through Lower Harbor Park to do a history show with Jack. All three of those events did go off as planned, although there was one hitch.

Jack didn't make it to the history show.

He called me around 230 yesterday telling me about a little mishap he had suffered Sunday. He was gonna try his best to make it, but he was still suffering from his injury and wasn't too sure if he could be his usual, bubbly self.

Thankfully, the show we were doing last night--”Lights, Camera, Marquette”-- consists of a lot of old movies he recovered from a dumpster 40 years ago. So it didn't require the usual back & forth banter of a Jim & Jack show.  If one of us had to hurt himself and miss something, this was the show to do it.

And that's why it turned out okay.

I mean, it really ISN'T a Jim & Jack show without,. you know, Jack. Especially because he's the one who rescued the movies from a dumpster and especially because he knows the history of the reels and how they were saved. But you know the old saying about the show going on, so it did.

Even if it was a lone dork on stage.

Mostly, all that meant was I had to rush over to the theater when I finished TV at 615 to set all the equipment up. After a few hiccups (one thing you may not know about Jack & me is that we're separated by denominational differences—I'm Windows, he's Apple) everything worked well (having Bob Buchkoe playing piano really helps), and the show did, indeed, go on, if not quite as smoothly as it could have with both of us bantering back & forth. As I was making the ten minute walk back (up the hills) from the Lake Superior Theater to my apartment I tried to process what had just occurred in the past seven hours, and I just had to shake my head.

As I said yesterday, my life is weird. And getting weirder by the day.

That was my Monday. Hope yours was as equally exciting.

8-)

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment