Wednesday, August 2, 2023

Wednesday, 8/2

I don't know if this is ever gonna get any better.

Yesterday was supposed to be a nice day, with sun and temps in the mid 70s in the forecast. Naturally, I decided to take a half day off of work to play in the sun. And naturally, as soon as I woke up, I realized that, as has happened quite often this year, the forecast would not be accurate.

The haze is back--


That's not the best picture, but it's from my phone and there's really nothing for it to focus on except haze, more haze, and a yellow ball trying to break through. This must be the 25th or so day out of the 62 we've had so far this “summer” with haze in the sky, and it IS getting rather irritating. We only get so many days of summer up here, and every time one has haze in the sky is one less we can enjoy.

But (and please don't drop dead of shock here) yesterday I realized that, while our summer is getting cut short, our friends up in Canada have it a whole lot worse. Sure, we can complain about the haze that's blocking our sun, but isn't the haze much preferable to what they're dealing with—the actual fires putting the haze into the air? Last time I checked a chunk of Canada comparable in size to the state of Kentucky has burned, with more to come.

So yes, the haze IS putting a crimp into our summer. But at least we have a “summer” that's not gulping up chunks of our territory in a daily inferno.

And, I guess when you look at it that way, we really don't have too much to complain about, right?

(jim@wmqt.com

No comments:

Post a Comment