Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Tuesday, 8/3

 I wonder if the song is out of my dad’s head yet?

Sunday I received a text from Chicky-poo, mentioning that he, like often happens to me, had a song stuck in his head that wouldn’t go away. He recalled reading in here some of the tricks that I’ve used to try & make that stop, so he asked for any tips.

Nice to know the acorn doesn't fall far from the tree, huh?

The song he had stuck in his head was the Righteous Brothers’ “Unchained Melody”, a go-to love song for anyone of his generation (and, thanks to “Ghost”, a couple of generations after his). He had found a couple of different versions of it on You Tube, but those didn't work.

So I gave him my top 3 songs that drive a song stuck in your head out of your head. Of course, those songs then get stuck in your head, but at least the original song is gone, and that’s something right?

8-)

Anyway, if, like my dad & me, you ever get a song stuck in your head and it won’t leave, just try listening to one of these three. I can guarantee any of them will get rid of the original floating around your brain. I just can’t guarantee what’ll happen after that.

In no particular order, those three are…

Los Del Rio’s version of “Macarena”--



Carl Douglas’ “Kung Fu Fighting”--



And Aqua’s “Barbie Girl”--



Now, here’s how powerful those three songs are. You probably didn’t watch any of the videos that I stuck up here. Yet I’m guessing one of those songs is now stuck in your brain. THAT’S how powerful those particular tunes are. So if you ever actually need to use them, use them sparingly. Use them wisely. Otherwise, they’ll be floating around in your head for days upon end, and you know what? I don’t know if there are any songs more powerful than those three. They’re kind of like the nuclear option for removing a song from your brain. They’re a weapon of last resort.

So if you, like Chicky-poo, ever get “Unchained Melody” or some other equally strange song stuck in your head, you know what to use to get them out. Just be careful when you’re removing them, okay?

The power of those three songs is not a power to be trifled with.

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment