Friday, August 27, 2021

Friday, 8/27

 I would like to introduce you to my summer friend--


Okay; right about now I'm sure you're wondering why I posted a picture of the 100 west block of Bluff Street in Marquette, a street populated mostly by parking lots and parking decks. Well, as you know, it's been a hectic summer, and as it's slowly coming to an end I wanted to give credit to one of the things that has kept me sane this season.

And that would be the 100 west block of Bluff Street in Marquette.

Let me explain. On those days when I had 8,000 things to do and just needed to escape them for a few minutes I would leave the station, walk around the corner, and come upon the 100 west block of Bluff Street. Because it's mostly a parking area I could walk up & down the street and not be bothered by much other than sunshine and the occasional glances of people who were returning to their cars. If it was a particularly sunny and/or hectic day I'd take a cup of tea (usually one from Germany) and sit for a few minutes at the picnic table someone had thoughtfully placed in the grassy area at the end of the parking deck.

It allowed me to enjoy a few extra minutes of summer weather the past few months. And that's something that everyone deserves.

Of course, summer's now coming to an end. Kids are getting ready to back to class, high school football begins tonight, and Labor Day weekend is but a few days away. And my summer “romance” with the 100 west block of Bluff Street must come to an end, as well. Last week, the picnic table disappeared. And beginning Monday, workers will be renovating the parking deck, which means that my few moments of quiet respite would no longer be quiet. Or respiteful. Instead, those moments would be filled with the sounds of construction workers and construction equipment no matter where you were on the street.

So just let me say “thanks” to the 100 west block of Bluff Street in downtown Marquette. I know our friendship was unusual, but I'm sorry it'll be coming to an end. You made this summer just a little bit better than it could have been.

On that rather bizarre note, have a great weekend. And try to gird yourself to the fact that September starts in a few days!!!

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment