Monday, August 30, 2021

Monday, 8/30

 The note may have made it all worth it.

If you've been reading these recently you know I've been in the middle of a rather busy streak, starting with getting stuck in Charlotte for an unplanned day and going through many tours, several programs, getting our ESPN station ready for high school football, and more. And it's still going on; Loraine and I are going downstate this weekend to visit daily blog readers Floyd & Betsy of Reese, so I have to work ahead for that before having a few more history things on the calendar the first few weeks of September.

I know. The fun never ends, right?

8-)

Anyway, I received a hand-written note from someone who had been involved in one of the things that made the past month so busy. I wasn't at all expecting the note, so when I saw the words “Thank you for all the joy you bring”, I had to stop and think about it for a second. I mean; I've never quite thought of it that way. I hope this doesn't make me sound strange, but I've never really considered the effect that my work has on people. I put a tour or program together, I do it, I mentally go over what went right and what didn't go the way I thought, and then I move on to the next project.

This may be short-sighted of me, but I guess I never stopped to consider how the people attending the projects felt during and after.

I mean, I know they (hopefully) laughed and some will tell me how much they enjoyed it, but I guess I never thought of it that way. I never thought of it as bringing people joy. But if they did laugh a little and enjoyed what I did, then I guess I AM bringing people a little joy. And these days, is there anything more precious to share with a group of people?

I don't think so.

So I'd like to thank the person who gave me the note, for both giving it to me and for opening my eyes to this new perspective on my work. I've always known how it's impacted me; now I know how it effects others, as well.

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment