Thursday, August 19, 2021

Thursday, 8/19

It really can't be, can it?

Just as I feel I've gotten into the groove of enjoying summer something I'm working on has jolted me back to reality. We have a sports station here—ESPN UP—and among the things we broadcast on ESPN UP is high school football.

Guess what starts a week from tomorrow?

Yup; one of the most cherished of American fall traditions kicks off in a mere eight days when the high school football season gets into gear. I've just finally started enjoying summer, and here we go with the season apparently just passing us by.

Why, oh summer, why???

Now, don't get me wrong. We've had a great summer up here, one that's been (especially in the past few weeks) nice and warm and sunny and everything you'd want from a summer. But that doesn't mean we're ready for it to end. It seems, at least to me, like it just started. It seems, at least to me, that I've finally started to thaw out from the winter we just lived through. It seems, at least to me, like we should be, at the most, halfway through the most glorious season of the year.

But alas, that's not the case. The sun no longer sets at 10 pm nor rises before 6 am. The flowers that bloomed in polychromatic majesty are now drying up. And if you look closely, you'll notice that a leaf or two on many trees aren't quite as green as they used to be.

In fact, in some cases they're orange or red. And no matter how much you try to ignore that their numbers just keep growing and growing.

So I probably shouldn't be surprised that high school football season starts a week from tomorrow. Pretty soon it'll be joined by a crisp feeling in the air, leaves falling, and that inevitable day when the first flakes pop up in the air. Even though it seems like summer just started, we all know we're closer to the first day of snow than we are the first day of summer.

The beginning of high school football season is, sadly, just another reminder of that.

(jim@wmqt.com

No comments:

Post a Comment