Monday, August 16, 2021

Monday, 8/16

 I finally went through them over the weekend.

After announcing for hours on end at Ore-To-Shore Saturday, after doing laundry, and after getting stuff ready for a pop-up bike tour I'm doing for the History Center tomorrow, I was finally able to go through some of the pictures I took while we were in Savannah.

You remember that place, right? The place where, a week ago today, our flight got axed and started us on one of the most surreal weeks of our lives? Yeah, that place.

8-)

Anyway, before the flight insanity kicked off we had a great time down there. I took about 400 pictures, approximately 399 of which were of Spanish moss and/or houses. Well, okay, maybe NOT 399, but I did take a lot of pictures of that ilk.



It's really hard to take a bad shot down there. The city is so picturesque it's just begging you to keep snapping away. Well, except, perhaps, for all the construction on the main street-



How bad it the construction? One business has an opinion--



But at least Savannah still has Forsyth Park--



It also has a very cool development where they took an old power plant slated for demolition and turned it into a new (and rather large) hotel that anchors a whole new neighbor along the river.  That could've been a cool way to reuse the Shiras Plant in Marquette; maybe even tie it in to Founder's Landing somehow--



And it even had a nod to my great-grandfather!



Okay; I have no idea why a sign with the name of the guy after whom I was named was up. I'm assuming it was for a lawyer or an accountant or something along those lines. Still. It was cool to see.

Know what else was cool? Some of the amazing food we ate, including a peach & prosciutto pizza Loraine had--



But what wasn't cool? They stuck Johnny Mercer in jail!



I have no idea why the Savannah Police Department felt the need to cordon off the statue of the city's most famous songwriter. If I had to guess, though, it may have something to do with the fact that you can walk around the historic district with to go cups filled with alcohol.

Like I said, it's just a guess. But I'm guessing the guess is pretty accurate.

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment