Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Wednesday, 7/7

 It took three weeks to read it. I just wish it had gone on another three.

I think I've mentioned in here numerous times how “The Martian” is my favorite movie of the 21st century (so far). The film was based on a book by Andy Weir, and I have a feeling that when it comes out (and I can almost guarantee it will) the movie version of his new novel “The Hail Mary Project” may be my second favorite movie of the 21st century (so far).

Because if the movie is anything like the book, it'll be amazing.

I started reading it three weeks ago, and it's the kind of book that I could normally devour in a day or two. But because of the insanity of my life I've been having to grab a page here and a chapter there. I finally finished reading it (and I'm not kidding here) eating breakfast this morning, and I actually just had to sit and stare at my oatmeal for a few seconds afterward.

It was that good.

The story's sort of along the lines of “The Martian”, in that one individual has to science the s*#t out of a situation that (this time) threatens the entire human race. Unlike “The Martian” he does (mild spoiler alert here) have a little help, but there are also several things in play that stand in the way of saving humanity. The ending, which I devoured along with my breakfast, was a little unexpected, but seemed perfect for the story as it was told.

If you liked “The Martian”, I highly, highly recommend it.

I also have to wonder if the way in which I read it contributed to how much I liked it. In way, reading just a page or chapter a day stretched it out, and made me appreciate the story even more. It was kind of like watching an old movie serial, where you were left wondering what was going to happen next. I know that, after reading a few pages before going to bed the previous night, I'd spend part of my run the next morning pondering either what had happened or what was going to happen next.

It was almost like I was living the story in real time. And I don't think I would've gotten that if I had devoured the story in one reading.

So, if you're looking for something fun, scientifically accurate, and, above all, thought provoking this summer, I can't recommend “The Hail Mary Project” enough. For those three weeks, it was one of the best things I've ever read.

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment