Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Tuesday, 7/6

 I kinda miss doing the 4th of July parades.

First of all, hope you had a GREAT Fourth of July weekend. I did; the heat sure helped in that respect. We were joined by Loraine nephews and did almost everything there was to do in Marquette (and trust me, that's a LOT).  One thing we didn't do, though, was to watch the return of Marquette's Fourth of July parade Sunday on its new route down Third Street. I heard it went well and that people enjoyed it, and I also realized something.  I kind of missing being in the Ishpeming and Marquette parades myself.

Or, at least, one aspect of one of the parades.

Let me explain--the one thing I actually miss the most is the walk up to the beginning of the Marquette parade route, the second parade I would have done on the Fourth. I'd get home from doing the Ishpeming parade in the morning, give Loraine a kiss and grab a bite to eat, and then walk to the beginning of the Marquette parade. Why did I do that? One, there was no place to park at the start of the old parade route, and B, the parade ended just a few blocks from where I live, so if I had driven to the start of the parade route I'd have to walk back there to get a car anyway. This way, when the parade was over, so were my responsibilities, and I could just stroll the few blocks back to my apartment.

Why did I like the walk? Well, for one, because it was closed to traffic I could walk up the middle of Washington Street and not have to worry about getting hit by a pickup. Not only that, but I'd get a chance to talk to people along the way, to actually have a conversation with them for a second as opposed to just yelling “hey” as I ran past. That was nice, and a big part of why I enjoyed that stroll on a yearly basis.

So that's why I kind of miss doing the parades on the 4th. However, as I re-discovered over the holiday  it was also quite nice to have the day off, a day to just laze around and not have to head through two U.P. cities at a full sprint. And like I said—it just added to a very nice weekend!

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment