Thursday, July 29, 2021

Thursday, 7/29

 I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of the sight.

The sight I’m referring to is this--



I’m not talking about the breakwall or the old dock pilings; no, the sight of which I’ll never get tired is the sight of Lake Superior on a sunny day, the sight of a lake with light bouncing off the waves like a million glistening diamonds. I don’t know if that exact image comes through in the picture, but that’s the sight of which I’ll never tire.

Because we live among them every day, there are many things I think a lot of us take for granted, the sight of Lake Superior on a sunny day among them. Because we see these things every day, we don’t think they’re anything special; those things are just part of our normal, every day lives. For us, they’re just things in the background. It’s only when we move away and don’t see them everyday, or we’re able to see them through the eyes of people visiting to the area, people who don’t get to see them every day, that we realize just how special many of the things around us really are.

You know, special on the order of the summer sun glistening off of Lake Superior.

And it’s not just the sun glistening off the Lake. I’ve spoken with people who’ve moved away from Marquette and who all of a sudden miss the hills, or the trees, or the friendly people, or even the smell from the Sara Lee Bakery (when, of course, there actually WAS a Sara Lee bakery). When they lived here, all those things just formed a part of the fabric of every day life. But after they left, these people realized that that “fabric” was actually a mosaic of something really special, something you can get just everywhere.

That’s why I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of the summer sun bouncing off of Lake Superior. I did my time away from Marquette, so I know what it’s like to live without a Great Lake (or hills or friendly people or the smell from a defunct bakery) as part of your life. I hope I’ll never take those things for granted again, if only because I know what it’s like to live without them. They’re really special. Not every place has the things we have. We shouldn’t take them for granted. Instead, we should make note of them on a daily basis, and realize that we’re among the most fortunate people on the planet.

Because we get to live among things like the summer sun glistening off of Lake Superior.

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment