Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Tuesday, 7/13

 The latest public “art” project seems a little more aspirational.

Yesterday, I wrote about the “Priority Mail” artist, who used those Post Office labels as a canvas and then sticks them on stop signs. Today, I wanna point out another artist, this one whose canvas is the light poles on the Washington Street bike path between UP Health Systems and McClellan Avenue. Loraine and I first noticed the work while walking to Walgreen's on Sunday--



That message, the first we saw, caught my eye, and pretty soon we saw a whole bunch of them with positive messages--



They're only on that particular stretch of the bike path, and (mostly) seemed to be accompanied by visitor stickers from the hospital. I don't know if the art is done by someone who works at UPHS, someone who had a loved one there, or just someone who found the stickers lying around. I just know that the messages are kind of nice to look at, especially in a world filled with rancor, division, and spite.

I don't know if the city of Marquette would agree with me, seeing as how their light poles were used, but I think they're kinda cool.

There was one other message, as well, a hashtag stuck to each and every work--



I put “#projectseven” into both Twitter and Facebook, but didn't come up with much, especially local. That doesn't matter, though. All I know is that there are positive messages on a bike path near a place where, sometimes, sad things happen. I couldn't think of a better place for those messages.

Maybe all graffiti—excuse me, “public art”:--should aspire to that.

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment