Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Wednesday, 12/9

 Maybe that’s why I’m always so calm.

While going through one of the eight zillion emails I get each and every day I came across a rather interesting fact. A new survey shows that people who compulsively check their phones for texts or messages or e-mails suffer anxiety or depression at a rate up to 60% higher than people who don’t.

Sixty percent higher!!!

I actually know a couple of people like that; people who look at their phone every two minutes and seem disappointed when there’s nothing new to attract their attention. These are the same people who will send me a text or an e-mail and then wonder why I don’t get right back to them, even if the text or e-mail was trivial in nature. Well, that’s probably because I don’t check my phone every two minutes. In fact, I can actually go (gasp) hours without even giving it a second thought.

Oh, the horror!!

Call me weird (it certainly wouldn’t be the first time) but I don’t see why I should be checking my phone every two minutes. After all, that’s like being at work or being on call 24 hours a day. I wouldn’t want to do it without a phone; why should I do it with a phone? There are times when you just need to separate yourself from whatever or whomever. You need to allow your brain to detach and de-tangle, and that doesn’t happen when you’re checking your phone every two minutes.

I can’t say I was surprised when I saw that statistic; we seem to live in a world where there’s too much information and not enough time to process it. And before you go thinking I’m a technological Luddite or something, be aware of the fact that I use technology just as much or more than the average person. I just don’t feel this. . .compulsion to use it every single second I’m awake. I’m fine with leaving my phone at home when I go to the beach or to leave it in another room when I’m spending time with loved ones. After all, what’s more important in the scheme of things, especially for your mental health--a walk on the beach, or a text message you really don’t need at that moment?

Now can you see why that survey was probably quite accurate?

So the next time you see someone in store or in their car or even (heaven forbid) in a restaurant (when they're open) spending time with someone else yet checking their phone every few minutes, make sure you don’t say “boo” around them.

After all, they’re probably anxious enough as it is.

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment