Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Tuesday, 12/29

 Now that it looks like we might actually be getting another stimulus payment, here's something to think about.

First of all, do not think about this at all if you need the $600 (or $2,000, or whatever it ends up being). If you need it for food or rent or any other kind of payment, use it for that. Skip this blog and come back tomorrow. But if you're one of the lucky ones who've been working this whole year and don't need the $600 to survive, think about doing what I'm going to do.

Spend the whole thing locally.

I did this back in May when the original $1,200 came. I've been working through this whole wonderful pandemic, so I didn't need the money to survive. I took the fact that it was a “stimulus payment” to use it for its intended purpose—to stimulate the economy. I didn't stick it in the bank, where it doesn't do much good for anyone else. And I certainly didn't use it to go on an Amazon shopping spree, because lord knows Jeff Bezos doesn't need another 600 bucks. I took all $1,200 and spend it in locally owned stores.

And it felt really good.

I don't remember exactly what the number is, but if you spend a buck in a locally owned store that dollar gets used again (I think) six times, because the owner pays an employee with some of it, who then spends it in another store, and that store owner uses it to pay a local supplier, and so on. If you stick it in a bank, the money just sits there. If you use it on Amazon, Jeff Bezos' net worth goes from 100 billion to 101 billion, but it doesn't do anything for your neighbors.

That's why you should spend it locally.

For me, at least, it really doesn't matter if you need it. Spending it is the important thing. Sure, back in the spring I bought a few things I needed, like running shoes and a new backpack, but I also picked up a stuffed cow pillow (which I like), a couple bars of basil vanilla soap (which I really like), and more new kinds of teas than I've ever bought before (several of which I really, really like). And I tried every single locally-owned restaurant that I could think of.

This time around, those restaurants will actually be my focus. I can't think of any kind of business that's been hit as hard by the pandemic as the food service industry, so on the stimulus list I've been putting together—and yes, I AM putting a list together—locally owned restaurants are right on top. In fact, I'm thinking the vast majority of the $600 will be going to those places, either through take out or by paying them a visit in person when they're allowed to be open again.

After all, I'd like for them to be around so I can visit them again with abandon when all this crap is over.

So that's my plan for the $600 dollars we'll be getting, plus any other amount that's coming in the immediate future. If you've been one of the fortunate ones and don't need the payment to survive, think of all the people you could help with it.

And then get out there and spend, spend, spend.

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment