Thursday, December 10, 2020

Thursday, 12/10

 I'm doing my part. I don't know if it'll make a difference, but I'm doing my part.

I usually try to do this anyway, but because it's 2020 and so many local merchants have had a less than good year I'm attempting to buy as many Christmas gifts as possible at small mom & pop stores, especially here in downtown Marquette. I probably won't be entirely successful—there are a few things people want that you just can't get, uhm, in this country—but I'm trying to do my best.

Being a resident of downtown Marquette I've always tried to support my (literal) neighbors, but this year, what with stores being totally shut down for two months earlier this year and what with stores still being buffeted by the crapstorm that is 2020, I'd like to do my little bit to ease that burden.

It may not be an awful lot, but I'm doing my best.

Of course, restaurants have been hurt worst of all, what with spending most of the year only being able to offer take-out. I've been trying to order take out as much as possible this year, but whether or not that makes any difference, I don't know. Gift cards for my favorite places will make good gifts, even if they're just gifts for me to use sometime in the future (assuming, of course, that the places are still in business in the future, whenever that is), so that's my plan.

Another reason I'm doing this? I can. I know a lot of people who've been out of work or who have had their hours cut back, and just can't afford to try & support local businesses. I've been lucky. Even though I've been working alone for nine months now I have been working. My life really hasn't been tossed asunder, thankfully. So if I can do my part, no matter how small that part may be, I'm more than happy to do it.

This year, especially, more than ever.

So no matter where you are when you're reading this, think about the people who own local stores, and how they've been suffering this year. Then remember Amazon's been making record profits, and Wal-Mart's been making record profits.

Who do you think could use your shopping dollars more?

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment