Friday, December 4, 2020

Friday, 12/4

 I was supposed to be spending my birthday shooting a TV show. Now, I have no idea if that'll even happen at all this year.

First of all, I turn another year older today. That's not a big deal. As I joke each & every year if anyone deserves cheers and/or sympathy it's my mom, if only because I was born a month past my due date.

SHE'S the one who deserves all the accolades today.

I'm not big on birthdays, anyway. All it means is that I'm another year older, and if there's one thing that the Koskis don't do is acknowledge aging. So today would, during a normal year, just be another day, albeit one with pumpkin bars and mint chocolate chip ice cream. And, as it's been happening the past few years, a shooting date for that little TV show I host.

But alas...2020 has been anything BUT a normal year.

If things had gone according to the original plan we would've been shooting the first episode of our second round today. If things had gone according to the revised plan we put together after the original plan went out the window we'd be shooting the second episode of the season today. But because nothing has gone according to either original or backup plans this year, I get to spend my birthday not under the lights of a TV studio but sitting in my office, wondering if we'll ever get to shoot an episode at all this year.

I wouldn't take bets on it.

Once the original plans went out the window we thought we had a good revised plan in place; we'd shoot beginning in December so the programs could begin airing January 2nd. We'd get a bunch of shows in the can this month and be off to a flying start. But between this third wave of the gunk and the fact that high school students aren't allowed any extracurricular activities (like, say, appearing on a TV show); well, those plans went out of the window, as well.

So instead of spending my birthday in my preferred way, I'll just go to work like it's a normal day. I do get birthday pizza tonight (thanks, Loraine) and thawed-out pumpkin bread (thanks, mom, for thinking of doing that before you escaped Michigan for the season), so it WILL be a little above average for a Friday.

It just won't be the exact way I had hoped to spend it. But it's 2020, so what are you gonna do right?

Have a great weekend...

(jim@wmqt.com)

1 comment:

  1. I hope you had a happy birthday despite your obvious travails. :-)

    ReplyDelete