Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Tuesday, 12/22

It won't be the same. But it also won't be as bad as it could've been.

2020 has wrecked havoc on everyone's holiday plans. In my particular case, my parents are in Florida, and my siblings and I have seen our Christmas reduced to exchanging gifts and socially-distanced greetings on a city sidewalk. It'll be the first time that all or most of us won't be together, and it sucks.

In fact, it sucks so much that I almost felt sorry for myself for a bit.

However, like has happened a lot in 2020, it also made me think. Sure, my usual holidays plans have been rendered askew, but you know what? That's happening to everyone. And among that group of “everyone” is a large contingent of people who, because it's 2020, are going to have to spend the holiday alone. They might be stuck in a strange city, unable to get home, or they may be isolated in a facility where they can't have guests. Compared to that, I have nothing to complain about. I'm in a place I love, and while I don't get to spend the holiday with a lot of people I do get to spend it with the most important person in my life—Loraine.

And that's why I can't feel sorry for myself.

Think of all the people who are really suffering this holiday season, or who won't be able to do a single thing they like doing. Compared to that, I have absolutely nothing to complain about. I get to hug the person I love. I get to look at Christmas lights with the person I love. I get to experiment making Greek food for Christmas with the person I love.

When you think of it that way, I'm really quite the lucky guy.

So while all kind of holiday traditions are falling by the wayside this year, we'll deal with it. 2020 has been throwing us fastballs all year; maybe it's time we actually hit one back. I get to spend Christmas with Loraine. I have nothing to feel sorry about . And who knows—we might even get a new tradition or two out of it.

If you look at it that way, it really CAN be the most wonderful time of the year.

*****

By the way, I think I have the answer as to what color (white, brown, or green) our Christmas will be--



I took that picture about an hour and a half after writing yesterday's blog. I guess Mother Nature answered the question I posed for us!

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment