Monday, December 14, 2020

Monday, 12/14

 I think I've figured out my favorite Christmas album of all time. Just don't laugh when I tell you what it is.

Because things have been so strange this year I haven't had the chance to listen to any kind of holiday music at all, aside from a few new tracks to decide if we should play them on the air. While wrapping some gifts to send down to Florida this weekend I finally had the time to listen to a couple of albums, the ones that traditionally get played during my annual orgy of cookie baking, which sadly not doing this year, and it's while listening to the music that I realized I actually have a favorite Christmas album of all time.

And it's not what you think. It's not the soundtrack to “A Charlie Brown Christmas”, which I thought would've topped my list. It's not any of the “Very Special Christmas” compilations. It's not even a classic holiday album from Frank, or Bing, or Nat.

Nope. My favorite Christmas album of all times appears to be the soundtrack to the movie “Jingle All The Way”.

Have I lost (what's left of) my mind? Did I drink too much eggnog? Did I get a piece of tinsel stuck up my nose as a young child and short-circuit part of my brain as a result? (although, come to think of it, that WOULD explain a lot, wouldn't it?) Why, oh why would the soundtrack to a really bad Arnold Schwarzenegger movie be my favorite Christmas album of all time?

Because it, apparently, gives me everything I want in a Christmas album.

Let me explain. As bad as the movie is (and even though I haven't seen it in 20 years I remember that it's really, really bad), the soundtrack stands on its own. It has the first three or four attempts at Christmas music by the Brian Setzer Orchestra, a genre in which they totally kicked butt the next few years. It also has an amazing selection of Christmas classics, including Nat King Cole's “The Christmas Song” and Bobby Helm's “Jingle Bell Rock”. And it also has a cut from the movie's soundtrack that, while not technically Christmas music, still makes me think of the holidays. It's kind of a one-stop shop for my favorite Christmas tunes, all in one very strange place.

And that's why the soundtrack to “Jingle All The Way” appears to be my favorite Christmas album of all time. You may now proceed to start laughing your head off in disbelief.

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment