Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Wednesday, 12/23

 Yes...Greek food for Christmas. You have a problem with that?

8-)

As I mentioned yesterday one of the things Loraine and I will be trying during our Covid Christmas is making Greek food. Why, you ask? Well, I answer, 2020 has deprived us of a lot of holiday traditions, among them one of our favorites—the annual bake sale at the Greek orthodox Church in Marquette. We always look forward to trying all kinds of authentic Greek food made by church members. Unfortunately, like almost everything good this year, the bake sale was cancelled.

And that's why I'll try making my own Christmas day.

The attempt will be Pastitsio, a lasagna-type dish that uses lots of noodles, cinnamon, and a bechamel sauce as a topping. It's one of those dishes that we get at the bake sale every year, and since it doesn't involve 18 layers of puff pastry or a lot of ground walnuts we figured it would be a good first attempt at making our own Greek food.

We'll see how it turns out.

We were also thinking of adding Kaiserschmarnn to it, but figured that 1). do you really wanna mix German & Greek food?, and B). I'd be spending enough time in the kitchen as it is Christmas Day, so we'll save that for New Year's Day instead. And seeing as how I actually don't suck (if I must say so myself) at whipping up a batch of that treat, that should be easy.

As opposed to, say, a Greek dish with four different layers that I've never made before.

If it turns out, it'll be a Christmas miracle. If it doesn't; well, nothing else in 2020 has, so why should this be any different, right?

You'll know the answer to that question on Monday!

*****

Speaking of which, this will be the last entry before then. I hope you & yours have a great holiday, in whatever form it takes. Remember to leave a bottle of hand sanitizer for Santa to use!

(jim@wmqt.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment