Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Wednesday, 12/18


What with it being only 6 days until Christmas Eve (6 days????!!!????) I, like you, have been listening to a lot of holiday music recently, if only because I need to decide what we’re gonna be playing on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, when we’ll be playing nothing BUT 36 straight hours of holiday music. And after listening to oh, I dunno, a hundred or so new Christmas songs (or new versions of old classics), I’ve come to a decision--

Usually, with Christmas songs, the older, the better.

Now, I’m not trying to sound like an old fuddy duddy here, but does the world really need the 114th version of “Winter Wonderland”, this time sung by a 9-year old Disney Channel star, or a remake of “Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)”, as interpreted by a spoken word poet (both of which are available this year,by the way)?

I dunno.

Normally, I enjoy listening to younger artists trying their hand at classic works, and I do realize that there are a finite number of Christmas songs out there, so if you wanna record an album of “classics”, you only have a few from which to choose. But there’s just something about the “classic” version of those classics that make the holidays, well, the holidays.

You know, classic versions like these--the list of Jim’s top 5 Christmas songs of all time (assuming, of course, I actually sat down and made a list of my top 5 Christmas songs of all time)--

5. “All I Want For Christmas Is You”, Mariah Carey.

4. “The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year”, Johnny Mathis.

3. “Same Old Lang Syne”, Dan Fogelberg.

2. “White Christmas”, by (don’t laugh) Vince Gill.

1. “The Christmas Song”, by Nat King Cole.

All songs that, I might add, are still among our most requested holiday songs by YOU guys (well, except for maybe the Vince version of “White”), and all songs that you’ll be hearing from now through our 36 hours of non-stop holiday music Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

By the way...what are YOUR favorites?



No comments:

Post a Comment